According to 800zipcodes, White Sulphur Springs is a small city located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Central Montana. The city lies at an elevation of 4,098 feet and covers a total area of 2.6 square miles. It has a mild, continental climate with temperatures ranging from warm summers to cold winters.
The city was founded in 1883 and has a rich history associated with it. It was once a thriving mining town, but today serves as the county seat for Meagher County. White Sulphur Springs is known for its low cost of living, vibrant culture and wide range of recreational activities.
The economy of White Sulphur Springs is largely driven by tourism, agriculture and small businesses, with some larger employers such as the hospital, school district and local government also playing an important role in providing jobs to the citizens.
White Sulphur Springs School District provides education to students from kindergarten through 12th grade and also offers many extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs and after school programs. The district is highly rated due to its commitment to excellence in teaching and learning standards.
The city boasts many landmarks such as the historic White Sulphur Springs Hotel which was built in 1888. The hotel was once home to celebrities such as John Wayne and Buffalo Bill Cody who visited frequently during their travels through Montana. Another well-known landmark is the Meagher County Courthouse which was built in 1915 and still stands today as a symbol of local pride for its citizens.
Overall White Sulphur Springs offers visitors an opportunity to experience small-town life while being surrounded by natural beauty that only Montana can offer. With its unique culture, vibrant economy, quality education system and interesting landmarks, it’s no wonder why so many people choose this city as their home away from home!
Population: 984. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,017 (+3.4% change)
Males: 479 (48.7%), Females: 505 (51.3%)
Zip code: 59645
Median resident age: 44.1 years
Median household income: $28,229
Median house value: $69,000
Races in White Sulphur Springs:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.6%)
- American Indian (2.4%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (29.8%), Norwegian (16.0%), Irish (15.9%), English (15.3%), United States (8.0%), Scottish (5.7%).
Elevation: 5045 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
White Sulphur Springs is a small town located in Meagher County, Montana. It has a population of approximately 1,200 people as of the 2020 census. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with smaller populations of Native American, Hispanic, African American and Asian American individuals. The median age is 42.3 years old and there are slightly more females than males in the town. The median household income is $37,521 and most people are employed in agricultural or service-related jobs such as hospitality and retail. White Sulphur Springs is home to the world-famous hot springs that attract many visitors from around the world each year. There are also many outdoor activities available such as camping, fishing, hunting, hiking and skiing that draw visitors from near and far alike. Education is important to the people of White Sulphur Springs with both public and private schools offering a variety of educational opportunities for all ages from elementary school through college level courses. The town also has a strong sense of community with several local organizations dedicated to keeping White Sulphur Springs a safe and vibrant place to live for generations to come.
For population 25 years and over in White Sulphur Springs
- High school or higher: 81.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 7.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in White Sulphur Springs city
- Never married: 17.4%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 8.7%
2.3% Foreign born (1.2% Europe, 0.7% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +13 (+1.3%).
Hospital/medical center in White Sulphur Springs:
- MOUNTAIN VIEW MEDICAL CENTER – CAH (16 WEST MAIN STREET PO BOX Q)
Other hospitals/medical centers near White Sulphur Springs:
- BROADWATER HEALTH CENTER (about 40 miles; TOWNSEND, MT)
- BOZEMAN DEACONESS HOSPITAL (about 58 miles; BOZEMAN, MT)
- LIVINGSTON HEALTHCARE (CAH) (about 65 miles; LIVINGSTON, MT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to White Sulphur Springs:
- GALLATIN FIELD (about 57 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Abbreviation: BZN)
- GREAT FALLS INTL (about 71 miles; GREAT FALLS, MT; Abbreviation: GTF)
- HELENA REGIONAL (about 74 miles; HELENA, MT; Abbreviation: HLN)
Other public-use airports nearest to White Sulphur Springs:
- WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS (about 4 miles; WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, MT; Abbreviation: 7S6)
- WILSALL (about 39 miles; WILSALL, MT; Abbreviation: 9U1)
- TOWNSEND (about 43 miles; TOWNSEND, MT; Abbreviation: 8U8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to White Sulphur Springs:
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BOZEMAN (about 64 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Full-time enrollment: 10,380)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 177 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- RICKS COLLEGE (about 198 miles; REXBURG, ID; Full-time enrollment: 8,670)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA-MISSOULA (about 222 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Full-time enrollment: 11,112)
- IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 286 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY (about 344 miles; LOGAN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 16,384)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 371 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)