West Point, Iowa
According to allpubliclibraries, West Point, Iowa is a city of approximately 2000 people located in Lee County in the southeastern part of the state. Geographically, it is situated on the banks of the Mississippi River, with rolling hills and bluffs that provide beautiful views of the river and its tributaries. The climate is typical for Iowa, with hot summers and cold winters, though due to its location along the river there are often warmer temperatures in winter than other parts of the state.
History wise, West Point was founded in 1836 by settlers who were drawn to its location along the Mississippi River. It quickly grew into an important shipping port for grain and livestock and developed a thriving economy. In later years it became an important center for manufacturing as well as agriculture.
Politics in West Point are similar to those found throughout Iowa—conservative but moderate overall. The city has had Republican mayors since its inception, though it has elected Democrats to some local offices over time.
The economy of West Point relies heavily on both manufacturing and agriculture. The city is home to several factories that produce food products such as canned vegetables and meat products, as well as other consumer goods like clothing and furniture. Agriculture remains an important part of life here; farming families have been living in this area for generations, growing corn, soybeans, wheat and other crops on their land near town.
Schools in West Point include both public and private institutions at all levels from elementary through high school; there are also several universities within a short drive’s distance from town for those looking for higher education options.
West Point is home to many interesting landmarks, including a restored train depot dating back to 1872 that now serves as a museum dedicated to preserving local history; an old stone mill that still stands beside one of the many streams that run through town; several parks located along the banks of the Mississippi River; a historic covered bridge that was built in 1883; a small lake which contains some excellent fishing spots; and much more!
Population: 980. Estimated population in July 2020: 961 (-1.9% change)
Males: 449 (45.8%), Females: 531 (54.2%)
Zip code: 52656
Median resident age: 44.4 years
Median household income: $38,409
Median house value: $79,000
Races in West Point:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.5%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (54.5%), United States (11.8%), Irish (11.1%), English (4.0%), French (2.3%), Dutch (1.4%).
Elevation: 775 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
West Point, Iowa is a small town located in Lee County. According to the 2010 census, the population of West Point was 880 people. The population has grown steadily since then and as of 2016 was 907 people. The majority of the population is white (95.1%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (2.9%), African American (0.7%) and Asian (0.3%). The median age in West Point is 40 years old with 31% of the population under 18 and 13% over 65 years old.
The majority of residents in West Point are employed in office and administrative support roles, sales and related occupations, management occupations, construction and extraction occupations, and production occupations. The median household income for West Point is approximately $50,000 per year with 32% of households earning less than $35,000 annually and 14% earning more than $100,000 annually. The poverty rate for West Point is 8%, which is lower than both the state average of 10% as well as the national average of 12%.
West Point has a variety of educational opportunities for its citizens including elementary schools for pre-kindergarten through sixth grade as well as high school for grades seven through twelve. Additionally, there are two private schools located within ten miles of West Point that provide education from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade along with a technical college within twenty miles which offers career training programs such as medical coding or welding technology.
For population 25 years and over in West Point
- High school or higher: 81.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Point city
- Never married: 18.7%
- Now married: 57.4%
- Separated: 0.1%
- Widowed: 15.3%
- Divorced: 8.4%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -165 (-14.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near West Point:
- FORT MADISON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; FORT MADISON, IA)
- HENRY COUNTY HEALTH CENTER (about 20 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, IA)
- MENTAL HEALTH INSTITUTE (about 20 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Point:
- SOUTHEAST IOWA REGIONAL (about 24 miles; BURLINGTON, IA; Abbreviation: BRL)
- QUINCY REGIONAL-BALDWIN FIELD (about 57 miles; QUINCY, IL; Abbreviation: UIN)
- OTTUMWA INDUSTRIAL (about 73 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Abbreviation: OTM)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Point:
- FORT MADISON MUNI (about 11 miles; FORT MADISON, IA; Abbreviation: FSW)
- MOUNT PLEASANT MUNI (about 16 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, IA; Abbreviation: MPZ)
- KEOKUK MUNI (about 19 miles; KEOKUK, IA; Abbreviation: EOK)
Amtrak stations near West Point:
- 11 miles: FORT MADISON (1601 20TH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service.
- 19 miles: MOUNT PLEASANT (418 N. ADAMS ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Point:
- WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; MACOMB, IL; Full-time enrollment: 11,096)
- UNIVERSITY OF IOWA (about 66 miles; IOWA CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,766)
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
- AUGUSTANA COLLEGE (about 81 miles; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,220)
- EASTERN IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 83 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,180)
- SAINT AMBROSE UNIVERSITY (about 84 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,310)
- BLACK HAWK COLLEGE (about 85 miles; MOLINE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,891)
Private high school in West Point:
- MARQUETTE JR/SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 343; Location: PO BOX 39 413 AVENUE C; Grades: PK – 12)
Library in West Point:
- WEST POINT PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $54,204; Location: 311 AVENUE D; 8,157 books; 439 audio materials; 620 video materials; 68 serial subscriptions)