Spring City, Pennsylvania
According to allpubliclibraries.com, Spring City is located in the southeastern corner of Pennsylvania, about 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia. The city is situated on the banks of the Schuylkill River, with a total area of 2.2 square miles. The terrain is mainly flat with some rolling hills, and the climate is humid continental, characterized by hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Spring City dates back to its founding in 1787 by Quaker settlers. It was originally a small farming community, but grew into an industrial town as more settlers arrived in the 1800s. Today, it is a vibrant small city with a population of around 5,000 people.
Politically, Spring City is part of Chester County and falls within Pennsylvania’s 6th Congressional District. It has a mayor-council form of government and all citizens are encouraged to participate in local elections and decisions that affect their community.
Spring City’s economy has traditionally been driven by manufacturing and agriculture, but there are also many small businesses in the area as well as some larger corporate employers such as Siemens and Johnson & Johnson. The city also has an active tourism industry that draws visitors from both near and far each year to explore its many landmarks and attractions including Valley Forge National Historical Park, Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, and Longwood Gardens.
Education is highly valued in Spring City; there are several public schools within the district that serve students from kindergarten through high school including East Coventry Elementary School, Owen J Roberts Middle School, and Owen J Roberts High School. In addition to these public schools there are several private schools such as St Joseph’s Catholic School which serves students from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. There are also several colleges nearby such as West Chester University which offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Population: 3,305. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,284 (-0.6% change)
Males: 1,673 (50.6%), Females: 1,632 (49.4%)
Zip code: 19475
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $40,601
Median house value: $98,200
Races in Spring City:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.6%)
- Black (1.9%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (29.1%), Irish (15.7%), Italian (11.0%), English (8.5%), United States (7.1%), Dutch (6.2%).
Elevation: 200 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Spring City, Pennsylvania is a small borough located in Chester County. It has a population of approximately 3,500 people as of the 2020 census. The majority of the population is white, with a smaller percentage of African American and Hispanic people. The median age in Spring City is 37 years old and the median household income is $54,000. The town offers a variety of amenities including parks, restaurants, and shops. There are also numerous historical sites to explore including the Spring City Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014. The town has several churches representing multiple denominations and there are also cultural attractions such as museums and galleries that offer art exhibits throughout the year. Additionally, Spring City is home to several popular annual events such as its Fourth of July parade and its Christmas tree lighting ceremony. Education is highly valued in this community with its two elementary schools and one middle school providing quality education for local students. Spring City also houses several higher education institutions such as West Chester University which provides undergraduate and graduate degrees. All these amenities combined make Spring City an ideal place to live for those looking for a quiet yet vibrant small-town atmosphere.
For population 25 years and over in Spring City
- High school or higher: 85.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Spring City borough
- Never married: 28.4%
- Now married: 51.2%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 11.9%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -189 (-5.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Spring City:
- PHOENIXVILLE HOSP UNIV OF PA HLTH SYS (about 4 miles; PHOENIXVILLE, PA)
- POTTSTOWN MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; POTTSTOWN, PA)
- BRYN MAWR REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; MALVERN, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Spring City:
- READING REGIONAL/CARL A SPAATZ FIELD (about 31 miles; READING, PA; Abbreviation: RDG)
- PHILADELPHIA INTL (about 31 miles; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Abbreviation: PHL)
- LEHIGH VALLEY INTERNATIONAL (about 34 miles; ALLENTOWN, PA; Abbreviation: ABE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Spring City:
- POTTSTOWN LIMERICK (about 4 miles; POTTSTOWN, PA; Abbreviation: PTW)
- PERKIOMEN VALLEY (about 10 miles; COLLEGEVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: N10)
- POTTSTOWN MUNI (about 10 miles; POTTSTOWN, PA; Abbreviation: N47)
Amtrak stations near Spring City:
- 11 miles: PAOLI (LANCASTER PIKE & S. VALLEY RD.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: EXTON (CREST AVE. OFF RTE. 100). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: DOWNINGTOWN (VIADUCT AVE.). Services: public payphones, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Spring City:
- IMMACULATA COLLEGE (about 11 miles; IMMACULATA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,042)
- EASTERN COLLEGE (about 14 miles; ST DAVIDS, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,456)
- WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 17 miles; WEST CHESTER, PA; Full-time enrollment: 10,419)
- VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; VILLANOVA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,547)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; BLUE BELL, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,097)
- DELAWARE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; MEDIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,248)
- WIDENER UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 26 miles; CHESTER, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,646)
Public primary/middle schools in Spring City:
- VINCENT EL SCH (Students: 520; Grades: KG – 05)
- SPRING CITY EL SCH (Students: 157; Grades: KG – 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Spring City:
- COLLEGEVILLE MONTESSORI ACA (Students: 58; Location: 952 BETHEL CHURCH RD; Grades: PK – KG)
- GRACE ASSEMBLY KINDERGARTEN (Students: 11; Location: 1271 WEST BRIDGE STREET; Grades: PK – KG)