Federal University of Parana. It is the oldest Brazilian university, founded on December 19, 1912, initially under the name Universidade do Paraná. UFPR functioned as isolated faculties until 1946 and was federalized in 1951, becoming a public institution and offering free education. Currently the university facilities are located in various points of Curitiba and in other cities of Paraná, in this institution there are 60 undergraduate course options, 124 specialization, 41 master’s and 26 doctorate. There are more than 183 colleges and universities in the state of Paraná.
In 1892, the Paraná intellectual José Francisco da Rocha Pombo placed the cornerstone of the University of Paraná on the Ouvidor Pardinho esplanade. Unfortunately, the project was frustrated by the Federalist Movement that prevented the creation of the university. Twenty years later, in 1912 the state had a small number of intellectuals (just nine doctors and four engineers), however it had a great increase in its development due to the production of yerba mate.
As has been said, an event of the time was that political alliances were committed to the creation of a university: In the episode known as Revolta do Contestado, the state of Paraná had lost a large strip of land in favor of Santa Catarina. In this context, Victor Ferreira do Amaral, a deputy and director of public instruction for Paraná, led the effective creation of the University.
On December 19, 1912, the university was founded, and in 1913, in an old building on Comendador Araújo street, it began its activities (as a private institution). The first courses offered were Legal and Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine and Surgery, Commerce, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Obstetrics. After the University of Paraná was founded, Victor Ferreira do Amaral, who was also the first rector, began the construction of a central building on land donated by the prefecture. Meanwhile, with the economic recession caused by the First World War, they saw the first difficulties.
In 1920 a federal law determined the closure of the universities, where the federal government disapproved independent initiatives of the states. Likewise, in a contradictory way, the government created the University of Rio de Janeiro. The solution found at the time to avoid the closure of the institution was the dismemberment of the UFPR into several faculties. For several years there was a long struggle to restore the university. Only in the early 1950s were the faculties reunited at the University of Paraná, shortly before federalization. In this way, with conflict, the UFPR has reached our days.
The construction located in the Santos Andrade square began in 1913, one year after the founding of the UFPR. The project of the military engineer Baeta de Faria consists of just one block with five floors and a central dome. It was inaugurated in 1915. Seven years later, in 1923, there was an extension with the construction of the lateral blocks, according to the original project. The right sector was finished soon in 1925 and went on to house the Engineering course. In the following year the left sector is concluded, which receives the course of dentistry.
Which gives rise after a few years to the so-called Associação Brasileira de Odontologia (Paraná Section) ABO – PR. New extensions were made on the right hand side and the building received a new paint job in 1940.
More works were carried out, extending the building in the direction of XV de Novembro street, which would end in 1951. A year later, new works in the right sector forced the demolition of part of the lateral façade built in 1940.
In 1954 the building occupied an entire block, between Plaza Santos Andrade, R. XV de Novembro, R. Presidente Faria and Trav. Alfredo Bufren. The last modifications were made, after so many extensions were planned, a new facade with columns and a wide staircase, and the covered dome was removed. The inauguration of the work with 17 thousand square meters in neoclassical style, occurred in 1955. In 1999, the prefect of Curitiba assigned the building the role of official symbol of the city.
Build and disseminate knowledge, which contributes to the training of citizens and sustainable human development.
- Public, free, quality and socially committed university.
- Inseparability of Education and Research
- Freedom in the construction and autonomy in the dissemination of knowledge.
- Respect for all instances of organized society.
- Commitment to the construction of knowledge and the training of competent and socially committed professionals.
- Pluralistic environment where public debate is an instrument of democratic coexistence.
- The preservation and dissemination of Brazilian culture.
- Propose public policies.
- Commitment of the university community with the institution.
- Participatory, dynamic and transparent management committed to better working conditions and quality of life.
- Efficiency, effectiveness and effectiveness in the development of institutional activities.
- Equality in the treatment given to the units of the institution.
- Respect for the institutional criteria used in the internal allocation of resources.
- Culture of planning and continuous evaluation of university life.
- Center for Language Studies – CELIN
- Interdisciplinary Nucleus of Environment and Development – NIMAD
- Nucleus of Companies and Multidisciplinary Projects (technological incubator) – NEMPS
- Nucleus of Pedagogical Advice – NAP
- Interdisciplinary Nucleus of Studies on the Third Sector – NITS
- Campus Juvevê
- Campus Center
- Campus of Agricultural Sciences/Cabral
- Polytechnic Center Campus/Polytechnic Center
- Campus Polytechnic Center/Technical School
- Campus Polytechnic Center / Botanical Garden
- Campus Pallottine – Pallottine
- Sea Studies Campus – Pontal do Paraná
- Coastal Campus – Matinhos
- Paraná Biological Act
- Paraná Bulletin of Geosciences
- Educate in Magazine
- Journal of Exercise and Sports Sciences
- Journal of Hospital das Clinicas
- Journal of Human Sciences
- Journal of Sociology and Politics
- Magazine of the Department and Post-Graduation Program
- Electronic Journal of Musicology
- Forest Magazine
- Interação Magazine
- Letters Magazine
- Agricultural Science