The continents are large expanses of land, bounded by the oceans and seas. They are responsible for 29.1% of the Earth’s surface; together, they have a land area of 149,440,850 square kilometers.
It is estimated that 400 million years ago, the planet’s lands were brought together on a single continent, called Pangeia. This great continent fragmented 60 million years ago due to the movement of tectonic plates, forming the six continents: Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Europe and Oceania. America is subdivided: North America, Central America and South America.
These continents have different physical, economic and social characteristics. Asia is the most populous terrestrial continent with the greatest territorial extension. According to Countryaah, the two most inhabited countries on the planet are in Asia – China (1.3 billion people) and India (1.2 billion). On this continent are the largest oil reserves, mainly in the Middle East.
Africa has the greatest cultural diversity in the world. However, this continent is marked by social problems: AIDS is largely responsible for deaths in the countries south of the Sahara desert (Sub-Saharan Africa); the shape affects a large part of the population; according to a survey released by the World Bank, in 2009, 50% of Sub-Saharan Africa’s inhabitants live on less than US $ 1.25 a day, that is, they are below the poverty line.
America also presents socioeconomic problems, especially the countries of South and Central America. Only the United States and Canada (located in North America) have high standards of development, however, they are not entirely free from social problems.
Europe, for having explored the natural wealth of countries on other continents and for starting the industrialization process, is the continent that has the best economic and social indicators. However, some European countries, especially those in the east of the continent, have socioeconomic problems.
Antarctica is the least populated continent, being inhabited by researchers from 27 countries. Its territorial extension varies a lot: in winter, the surface of the continent, of 13.2 million square kilometers, doubles in size as the surrounding water freezes. In this portion of the Earth 90% of the existing glaciers are located.
Territorial extension: 30,198,835 km².
Number of countries: 53.
Population: 1.1 billion inhabitants.
Demographic density: 34 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 40%.
List of countries in Africa:
Territorial extension: 42,054,927 km².
Number of countries: 35.
Population: 934.3 million inhabitants.
Demographic density: 22.2 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 79%.
List of countries in North and Central America:
List of countries in South America:
Territorial extension: 44,961,951 km².
Number of countries: 45.
Population: 4.1 billion inhabitants.
Demographic density: 92.5 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 42%.
List of countries in Asia:
Territorial extension: 10,365,456 km².
Number of countries: 49.
Population: 749.6 million inhabitants.
Demographic density: 72.3 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 73%.
List of countries in Europe:
Territorial extension: 8,526,462 km².
Number of countries: 14
Population: 37.1 million inhabitants
Demographic density: 4.3 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 70%.
List of countries in Oceania:
What is a Continent?
Continent is one of the major regions into which the world’s territories are divided. A continent includes a continent or part of it with both near and remote islands and is therefore not a physical or geological term. The subdivision has no political content either, but is a practical and everyday reality; it is used by the UN alongside other groups of world states.
The geography of ancient and medieval counted on three continents; now commonly counted seven: Europe, Asia and Africa (the Old World); North and South America (the New World); Oceania and Antarctica.
The separation of Europe and Asia lacks both physical and cultural justification, and the two continents are sometimes brought together in the concept of Eurasia. Furthermore, Asia is only separated from Africa and South America only from North America by dug trenches (Suez and Panama Canal).
A large number of islands in a shallow sea area link Australia to Asia, which in turn is simply separated from North America by the narrow and shallow Berings Strait. Only the uninhabited and climatically divergent Antarctic is somewhat more distant from the other continents.
Thus, most of the world’s land masses are related, much like the World Sea does. Geographers have since the great voyages of discovery sought to devise legalities for the location and shape of the continents; these efforts took a whole new turn after the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics.
The 50 countries with the most computers in the world
|Rank||Country||Number of computer|
|1||United States of America (North America)||237,160,000|
|2||China, People’s Republic (Asia)||76,300,000|
|5||Korea, Republic of (Asia)||30,090,000|
|6||Great Britain (Europe)||30,040,000|
|10||Canada (North America)||17,920,000|
|11||Brazil (South America)||17,890,000|
|14||Mexico (North America)||13,030,000|
|23||Saudi Arabia (Asia)||5,260,000|
|24||Argentina (South America)||5,190,000|
|26||South Africa (Africa)||4,360,000|
|28||Colombia (South America)||4,120,000|
|34||Hong Kong (Asia)||3,446,000|
|37||Czech Republic (Europe)||3,150,000|
|38||Chile (South America)||3,030,000|
|42||Venezuela (South America)||2,490,000|
|45||New Zealand (Australia-Oceania)||2,250,000|
- Republic of Buryatia (Russia) August 6, 2022 - Arshan, Republic of Buryatia (Russia) The Arshan health resort is located in the Tunkinskaya valley (southern spurs of the Eastern Sayan Mountains) at an altitude of 893 m above sea level. 70 km south of… ...
- Cape Town, South Africa July 30, 2022 - Cape Town and the Western Cape is a land where unexpected discoveries haunt you all the time. Just when you think you've seen it all, another surprise appears around the corner. The province has white… ...
- What to See in Langkawi (Malaysia) July 23, 2022 - According to Ehangzhou.org, Langkawi is an archipelago consisting of 99 islands. The largest of them is Palau-Langkawi, where the largest number of tourists come. Langakwi is a modern resort with long sandy beaches, developed infrastructure,… ...
- What to See in Kaesong (North Korea) July 16, 2022 - According to Allpubliclibraries.com, Kaesong is located 125 km south of Pyongyang near the border with South Korea. Kaesong was the capital of the first unified state of Goryeo from the 10th to the 14th centuries.… ...
- U.S. Virgin Islands General Information July 9, 2022 - General information: In the XVII century. The archipelago was divided into English and Danish parts. Sugar cane, produced by the labor of slaves, formed the basis of the economy of the islands in the 18th… ...
- Christmas Island General Information July 2, 2022 - General information: According to A2zdirectory.org, this island was annexed by Great Britain in 1888 after the discovery of a large deposit of phosphates on it. Geography Location: Southeast Asia, an island in the Indian Ocean,… ...
- Saint Helena General Information June 25, 2022 - General: Uninhabited when discovered by the Portuguese in 1502, the British garrison was stationed in the 17th century. It became known as the place of exile of Napoleon BONAPARTE (from 1815 until his death in… ...
- French Polynesia General Information June 18, 2022 - General: The French annexed various groups of Polynesian islands during the 19th century. In September 1995, France provoked widespread protests by resuming nuclear testing at Mururua Atoll. According to Smber.com, testing was suspended in January… ...
- General Information About India June 11, 2022 - GEOGRAPHICAL POSITION According to directoryaah, India lies between 8 and 36 degrees north latitude and between 68 and 97 degrees east longitude. From the west, India is washed by the Arabian Sea, from the east -… ...
- Belarus Demography and History June 4, 2022 - HUMAN AND ECONOMIC GEOGRAPHY According to Simplyyellowpages.com, Belarus is a Northeastern European state. At the 1999 census the residents numbered 10,045,237, but the population was declining at a slow and constant rate (- 0.6 %… ...