The continents are large expanses of land, bounded by the oceans and seas. They are responsible for 29.1% of the Earth’s surface; together, they have a land area of 149,440,850 square kilometers.
It is estimated that 400 million years ago, the planet’s lands were brought together on a single continent, called Pangeia. This great continent fragmented 60 million years ago due to the movement of tectonic plates, forming the six continents: Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Europe and Oceania. America is subdivided: North America, Central America and South America.
These continents have different physical, economic and social characteristics. Asia is the most populous terrestrial continent with the greatest territorial extension. According to Countryaah, the two most inhabited countries on the planet are in Asia – China (1.3 billion people) and India (1.2 billion). On this continent are the largest oil reserves, mainly in the Middle East.
Africa has the greatest cultural diversity in the world. However, this continent is marked by social problems: AIDS is largely responsible for deaths in the countries south of the Sahara desert (Sub-Saharan Africa); the shape affects a large part of the population; according to a survey released by the World Bank, in 2009, 50% of Sub-Saharan Africa’s inhabitants live on less than US $ 1.25 a day, that is, they are below the poverty line.
America also presents socioeconomic problems, especially the countries of South and Central America. Only the United States and Canada (located in North America) have high standards of development, however, they are not entirely free from social problems.
Europe, for having explored the natural wealth of countries on other continents and for starting the industrialization process, is the continent that has the best economic and social indicators. However, some European countries, especially those in the east of the continent, have socioeconomic problems.
Antarctica is the least populated continent, being inhabited by researchers from 27 countries. Its territorial extension varies a lot: in winter, the surface of the continent, of 13.2 million square kilometers, doubles in size as the surrounding water freezes. In this portion of the Earth 90% of the existing glaciers are located.
Territorial extension: 30,198,835 km².
Number of countries: 53.
Population: 1.1 billion inhabitants.
Demographic density: 34 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 40%.
List of countries in Africa:
Territorial extension: 42,054,927 km².
Number of countries: 35.
Population: 934.3 million inhabitants.
Demographic density: 22.2 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 79%.
List of countries in North and Central America:
List of countries in South America:
Territorial extension: 44,961,951 km².
Number of countries: 45.
Population: 4.1 billion inhabitants.
Demographic density: 92.5 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 42%.
List of countries in Asia:
Territorial extension: 10,365,456 km².
Number of countries: 49.
Population: 749.6 million inhabitants.
Demographic density: 72.3 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 73%.
List of countries in Europe:
Territorial extension: 8,526,462 km².
Number of countries: 14
Population: 37.1 million inhabitants
Demographic density: 4.3 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 70%.
List of countries in Oceania:
What is a Continent?
Continent is one of the major regions into which the world’s territories are divided. A continent includes a continent or part of it with both near and remote islands and is therefore not a physical or geological term. The subdivision has no political content either, but is a practical and everyday reality; it is used by the UN alongside other groups of world states.
The geography of ancient and medieval counted on three continents; now commonly counted seven: Europe, Asia and Africa (the Old World); North and South America (the New World); Oceania and Antarctica.
The separation of Europe and Asia lacks both physical and cultural justification, and the two continents are sometimes brought together in the concept of Eurasia. Furthermore, Asia is only separated from Africa and South America only from North America by dug trenches (Suez and Panama Canal).
A large number of islands in a shallow sea area link Australia to Asia, which in turn is simply separated from North America by the narrow and shallow Berings Strait. Only the uninhabited and climatically divergent Antarctic is somewhat more distant from the other continents.
Thus, most of the world’s land masses are related, much like the World Sea does. Geographers have since the great voyages of discovery sought to devise legalities for the location and shape of the continents; these efforts took a whole new turn after the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics.
The 50 countries with the most computers in the world
|Rank||Country||Number of computer|
|1||United States of America (North America)||237,160,000|
|2||China, People’s Republic (Asia)||76,300,000|
|5||Korea, Republic of (Asia)||30,090,000|
|6||Great Britain (Europe)||30,040,000|
|10||Canada (North America)||17,920,000|
|11||Brazil (South America)||17,890,000|
|14||Mexico (North America)||13,030,000|
|23||Saudi Arabia (Asia)||5,260,000|
|24||Argentina (South America)||5,190,000|
|26||South Africa (Africa)||4,360,000|
|28||Colombia (South America)||4,120,000|
|34||Hong Kong (Asia)||3,446,000|
|37||Czech Republic (Europe)||3,150,000|
|38||Chile (South America)||3,030,000|
|42||Venezuela (South America)||2,490,000|
|45||New Zealand (Australia-Oceania)||2,250,000|
American Highways and Higher Education by State
- Burlington, Kansas Population, Schools and Places of Interest June 2, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Burlington, Kansas is a small town located in Coffey County, nestled between the cities of Topeka and Emporia. With a population of just under 2,000 people, Burlington is a quiet and peaceful… ...
- Clay, Kentucky Population, Schools and Places of Interest June 1, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Clay, Kentucky is situated in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and is surrounded by several other cities and towns. To the north of Clay lies Manchester, a small town known for… ...
- Cheneyville, Louisiana Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 31, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Cheneyville is a small town located in the northeastern part of Louisiana, just south of the Arkansas border. It is a part of Rapides Parish and is home to approximately 1,500 people.… ...
- Cape Elizabeth, Maine Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 30, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Cape Elizabeth, Maine is bordered by several cities and towns that make up the greater Portland area. To the north lies Scarborough, a scenic seaside town with a mix of residential neighborhoods… ...
- Cordova, Maryland Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 29, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Cordova, Maryland is a small town located in Talbot County. It is bordered by several other towns and cities, all of which are within easy reach and provide additional amenities and attractions… ...
- Carver, Massachusetts Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 28, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Carver, Massachusetts is a charming small town located in the southeastern corner of Massachusetts. It is bordered by Plymouth to the east, Wareham to the south, Middleborough to the west, and Lakeville… ...
- Boyne City, Michigan Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 27, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Boyne City, Michigan is surrounded by many quaint towns and cities. To the north lies Charlevoix, a small city along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Charlevoix is known for its picturesque harbor and… ...
- Sierra Madre, California Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 26, 2023 - Sierra Madre is a small city located in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in Los Angeles County, California. Bordering cities and towns include Arcadia, Pasadena, Monrovia, and Glendora. With a population of just… ...
- Bigelow, Minnesota Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 26, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Bigelow, Minnesota is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. It is bordered by several other cities and towns, each offering unique attractions and activities to explore. To… ...
- Columbus, Mississippi Population, Schools and Places of Interest May 25, 2023 - According to best-medical-schools.com, Columbus, Mississippi is located in the eastern part of the state and is bordered by several cities and towns. To the north of Columbus lies Aberdeen, a small city with a population… ...