The continents are large expanses of land, bounded by the oceans and seas. They are responsible for 29.1% of the Earth’s surface; together, they have a land area of 149,440,850 square kilometers.
It is estimated that 400 million years ago, the planet’s lands were brought together on a single continent, called Pangeia. This great continent fragmented 60 million years ago due to the movement of tectonic plates, forming the six continents: Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Europe and Oceania. America is subdivided: North America, Central America and South America.
These continents have different physical, economic and social characteristics. Asia is the most populous terrestrial continent with the greatest territorial extension. According to Countryaah, the two most inhabited countries on the planet are in Asia – China (1.3 billion people) and India (1.2 billion). On this continent are the largest oil reserves, mainly in the Middle East.
Africa has the greatest cultural diversity in the world. However, this continent is marked by social problems: AIDS is largely responsible for deaths in the countries south of the Sahara desert (Sub-Saharan Africa); the shape affects a large part of the population; according to a survey released by the World Bank, in 2009, 50% of Sub-Saharan Africa’s inhabitants live on less than US $ 1.25 a day, that is, they are below the poverty line.
America also presents socioeconomic problems, especially the countries of South and Central America. Only the United States and Canada (located in North America) have high standards of development, however, they are not entirely free from social problems.
Europe, for having explored the natural wealth of countries on other continents and for starting the industrialization process, is the continent that has the best economic and social indicators. However, some European countries, especially those in the east of the continent, have socioeconomic problems.
Antarctica is the least populated continent, being inhabited by researchers from 27 countries. Its territorial extension varies a lot: in winter, the surface of the continent, of 13.2 million square kilometers, doubles in size as the surrounding water freezes. In this portion of the Earth 90% of the existing glaciers are located.
Territorial extension: 30,198,835 km².
Number of countries: 53.
Population: 1.1 billion inhabitants.
Demographic density: 34 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 40%.
List of countries in Africa:
Territorial extension: 42,054,927 km².
Number of countries: 35.
Population: 934.3 million inhabitants.
Demographic density: 22.2 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 79%.
List of countries in North and Central America:
List of countries in South America:
Territorial extension: 44,961,951 km².
Number of countries: 45.
Population: 4.1 billion inhabitants.
Demographic density: 92.5 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 42%.
List of countries in Asia:
Territorial extension: 10,365,456 km².
Number of countries: 49.
Population: 749.6 million inhabitants.
Demographic density: 72.3 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 73%.
List of countries in Europe:
Territorial extension: 8,526,462 km².
Number of countries: 14
Population: 37.1 million inhabitants
Demographic density: 4.3 inhab./km².
Urban Population: 70%.
List of countries in Oceania:
What is a Continent?
Continent is one of the major regions into which the world’s territories are divided. A continent includes a continent or part of it with both near and remote islands and is therefore not a physical or geological term. The subdivision has no political content either, but is a practical and everyday reality; it is used by the UN alongside other groups of world states.
The geography of ancient and medieval counted on three continents; now commonly counted seven: Europe, Asia and Africa (the Old World); North and South America (the New World); Oceania and Antarctica.
The separation of Europe and Asia lacks both physical and cultural justification, and the two continents are sometimes brought together in the concept of Eurasia. Furthermore, Asia is only separated from Africa and South America only from North America by dug trenches (Suez and Panama Canal).
A large number of islands in a shallow sea area link Australia to Asia, which in turn is simply separated from North America by the narrow and shallow Berings Strait. Only the uninhabited and climatically divergent Antarctic is somewhat more distant from the other continents.
Thus, most of the world’s land masses are related, much like the World Sea does. Geographers have since the great voyages of discovery sought to devise legalities for the location and shape of the continents; these efforts took a whole new turn after the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics.
The 50 countries with the most computers in the world
|Rank||Country||Number of computer|
|1||United States of America (North America)||237,160,000|
|2||China, People’s Republic (Asia)||76,300,000|
|5||Korea, Republic of (Asia)||30,090,000|
|6||Great Britain (Europe)||30,040,000|
|10||Canada (North America)||17,920,000|
|11||Brazil (South America)||17,890,000|
|14||Mexico (North America)||13,030,000|
|23||Saudi Arabia (Asia)||5,260,000|
|24||Argentina (South America)||5,190,000|
|26||South Africa (Africa)||4,360,000|
|28||Colombia (South America)||4,120,000|
|34||Hong Kong (Asia)||3,446,000|
|37||Czech Republic (Europe)||3,150,000|
|38||Chile (South America)||3,030,000|
|42||Venezuela (South America)||2,490,000|
|45||New Zealand (Australia-Oceania)||2,250,000|
American Highways by State
- National Parks in Utah December 4, 2022 - If you want to enjoy pristine nature reserves and a wealth of flora and fauna during a tour of Western America, you should definitely visit the national parks in Utah. This vast state is known… ...
- Tour Washington: The Evergreen State December 3, 2022 - Evergreen, sprawling Washington is located in the far north of the US. Because of its beautiful lakes, colorful forests and rolling countryside, a tour of Washington is very popular. The state borders Oregon, Idaho, and… ...
- A Handy Guide to The Grand Canyon, Arizona December 3, 2022 - Vertiginous precipices, majestic rock formations and a brilliant play of colors: the Grand Canyon is one of the most beautiful natural phenomena in the world. This awesome example of natural force is located in the… ...
- Joshua Tree National Park, California December 2, 2022 - According to agooddir.com, Joshua Tree National Park is a desert park about three hours from Los Angeles, both located in the beautiful state of California. While a desert might seem like a 'boring' idea at… ...
- Oahu, Hawaii December 1, 2022 - A good introduction to Hawaii: Oahu. This tourist island is bursting with options, whether you're looking for adventure, beautiful beaches or tranquility. Oahu has it all! Honolulu, located on the island of Oahu, is not… ...
- Sights of Split, Croatia November 19, 2022 - As the capital of the County of Split-Dalmatia, the city of Split has endured for many centuries. According to 800Zipcodes, the city's location on the Adriatic Sea and as the main port of Dalmatia has… ...
- Sights of Easter Island, Chile November 12, 2022 - According to agooddir, the unusual destination Easter Island belongs to the province of South American Chile in the Valparaíso region. The island has only one city, Hanga Roa, and that is the capital. The Polynesian… ...
- US 45 in Illinois November 3, 2022 - US 45 Get started Brookport End Antioch Length 429 mi Length 690 km Route Kentucky Brookport Metropolis Vienna Harrisburg Norris City Mill Shoals Fairfield Flora Effingham neoga mattoon Arcola champagne rantoul Paxton Gilman kankakee… ...
- State Route 80, 81 and 82 in Florida November 2, 2022 - Florida State Route 80 SR-80 Get started Fort Myers End Palm Beach Length 124 mi Length 199 km Route Fort Myers LaBelle Clewiston Belle Glade Wellington Palm Beach According to iTypeJob, State Route 80 or… ...
- US 34 and 36 in Illinois November 1, 2022 - US 34 in Illinois US 34 Get started Burlington End Berwyn Length 211 mi Length 340 km Route Iowa Monmouth freeway Cameron Galesburg-West Galesburg-North Kewanee Sheffield Princeton Mendota Sandwich plano Oswego Naperville Downers Grove Hinsdale… ...